There’s no doubt that cats make wonderful companions, but here is a compilation of some of our favorite reasons from the internet explaining why we should all have a cat:
- Having a cat keeps you physically and mentally healthy. Cat companionship has been proven to lower stress, blood pressure and cholesterol in humans. Cat owners have fewer heart attacks and strokes. Patting a cat can help to relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression because it increases levels of oxytocin. Oxytocin is known as the “love hormone” because it is released by touch and increases feelings of happiness.
- They don’t judge. Cats don’t care what you’re wearing or if your hair is a mess. They don’t mind if you spend the whole day in your pajamas and they could care less if you’re wearing mascara or not. They just want to love you for who you are. You know how sometimes you come home and you’re sad and you don’t want to talk about it, but you just want someone to sit there and be with you? Cats are good at that.
- They don’t try to control the remote. Sure, they might sleep on the remote and make it completely useless, but they’ll never demand that you change the channel or complain that you want to watch a chick flick or yet another rugby match.
- You’ll never be late for work. Having a cat means you won’t need an alarm clock ever again. If you miss breakfast time – they’ll be sure to let you know.
- Cats are great entertainment value. Why bother going out on a Friday night when you can be at home laughing at your cat’s silly antics? Cat ownership is soo much better than watching funny cat videos on Youtube, because you have your own real, live, funny cat video.
- They give you a sense of accomplishment. It sometimes takes work to make them love you – but when they do, they’ll love you like no one else will.
Still not convinced? Maybe you should get a cat. Better yet – get two!